Tuesday, October 10, 2006

October is Clergy Appreciation

In the last several days I have received several cards, letters and emails from members of my church letting me know how much they appreciate me, my family and my ministry. These are always nice but I wondered why all at once? I did some searching around and found that someone in the church had sent a bulk email out encouraging our members that this month was "clergy appreciation month" and they should pray for and encourage our staff and Pastors, hence the flood of nice sentiments. As I sat in my office today, reading some of the things written, I was reminded of how much of a privilege it is to serve Christ and the local church. As I waded through some blogs and read too much negative rhetoric, I think we sometimes forget that as Pastors, missionaries and staff members we "get" to do something we are both called to do and we love. In a state of conviction for my lack of thanksgiving for the mercy and grace I have to be able to serve, God convicted me that I had not always taken the time to "thank" those Pastors, and fellow laborers that have encouraged, taught and helped me along the way.
I began to sit down and write some cards and letters to the former Pastors I have served under and staff members I have served with, letting them know how much they have shaped, challenged and taught me as I strived to pursue Christ and His ministry. I did not always like these guys, many I did not agree with always when it came to points of theology or practice, but God used all of them to teach me something. I was reminded that even the Apostle Paul took time in the midst of cleaning up quite a few "church messes" to thank those that made a difference in his ministry. As Pastors it is easy to get wrapped up in the here and now and forget about those that helped us get to where we are. I challenge you to take this month as an opportunity to thank those co-laborers that shaped you. Send them a card, write them an email, or better yet, pick up the phone.
I have another challenge to those of you that might read this; this summer I enjoyed reading all of the blogs that tagged each other with a book tag to list their favorite books. I challenge you to use this month of "clergy appreciation" to write a blog expressing your thanks to someone that mentored, challenged, taught or even in my case "put up with you" as you strived to become the person God was calling you to be. Then tag one of you buddies challenging them to do the same. I am not talking about praising a person but thanking God for them and their ministry. If your like me the list may be long. I have decided that after I send them a card, I will post a little thank you on my blog for what they have meant to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home